<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

How Much Spam? 

In 10 days on the road, I received more than 2,400 spams. How do I know? My spam filter did not work with the Blackberry, and I had all of them sitting in the e-mail box when I returned. I don't know about you, but 240 spams a day is a bit much in my estimation. I understand the Supreme Court feels it must protect the right of free speech in the US and it believes that filters can do something about spam. I think the court is not being practical. Who pays for all the spam I am getting? As you well know, it is you and you and you and me. Why should I have to pay for something I don't want and why do I have to be the recipient of missives I despise? There is a right of free speech, which I defend to the utmost, but there is also a right not to listen to free speech, which I also defend. If I don't want spam, I shouldn't have to get it. It's that simple and it is not an abridgment of free speech.

I am in favor of a system that charges for e-mail. It is the quickest way to put the sleaziest operators out of business and it doesn't harm free speech just like paying for a newspaper doesn't transgress free speech.

We need solutions -- the sooner the better.

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?