<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Unsurprising 

Whenever a new media tool like blogging appears, it is a matter of time before ham-handed marketers try to exploit it. Inevitably, they don't know what they are doing, and they mess it up. Thus, this story that I found on Marketing Vox. The ad agency probably sold the client on the idea of starting a blog, then didn't know what to do with it. "I know," someone said. "We'll stick ads on it." I can just see a creative director saying that was a great idea without the least understanding of what the agency was getting into.

There will be a lot more of this foolishness before there is a better understanding of how one should blog for marketing. The advertising agency involved should have known better. That it didn't is in itself a story. I expect PR people to be behind the media curve. I don't expect advertising types to be so backward.

Now, PR bloggers don't send me nastygrams. You aren't behind the curve. It is those hundreds of folks on either side of you who ask what a blog is when you mention that you are writing one.

I have been working with new technology in PR since the early 1980s, and it has always been the case that PR practitioners are slow to adapt anything new. I had thought marketers were better. I guess not.

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?