<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 06, 2005

No Kiddin' 

I'm not going to criticize this article for being obvious, but anyone who has worked with new technologies knows consumer adoption is slow.

Today, we have bloggers yammering about community journalism, and PR practitioners hammering the uses of blogging in corporate communications. But, there is little progress. There are many blogs, but they are a fraction of total internet users. In the end, there is no need for all those journals. And, use of blogs in PR lags where it should be.

In the decades that I have worked with technologies, there has rarely been a time when people flocked to an invention. Even PCs had a slow gearup.

It takes a long time to overcome a consumer's fundamental question, "What's in it for me?" I have scars from trying to introduce technology to co-workers who didn't see how it would benefit them. Months later, they grasped the concept, but by then I had all but given up.

Actually, I did give up. I don't teach technology much anymore. Today, I use technologies that make sense for me, and let others catch up as they will. It might seem selfish, but it works better for everyone.

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?