<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 12, 2005

30-year Overnight Success 

Everyone is aware that the internet wasn't much of a success until the web was invented to make it more usable. I wasn't aware that the same thing happened with the digital camera as well. The issue in both cases was usability. The internet was a university tool for geeks willing to put up with its text-driven eccentricities. The digital camera needed to reach a point where it was easier to shoot in pixels than on film. Usability is at the heart of technology and communications.

Comments:
Jim,

If you will recall, back in 1994 when you, me and Pete Shinbach put together the Electronic PR Office for the PRSA Conference Kodak donated a digital camera for us to play around with as part of the exhibit. As I recall the price tag for the model was a cool $10,000 and it was about the size of toaster.

Funny, while I remember thinking it was cool that you could take a picture without film, I don't recall that we were able to figure out how to make it work.

So I agree with you that usability drives adoption.

Regards,

Craig
 

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?