<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 20, 2006

About Right 

This column summarizes the way I read news. It's difficult to get to an end of a story. It takes too much time with 50 more sources to scan and a few hundred more headlines. I worry about it because I know half stories about many things and full stories about a few. The old way of reading a news source, which required patience and an effort to follow a thread from the first paragraph to the last is gone in an era of news aggregation and blogging.

I suppose this means reporters should write shorter stories but some stories aren't easy to explain in short form and good features should carry one through to an end. I can hear the reporter now saying that it is a lack of discipline on the part of the reader -- and I agree. But then, would someone please turn off the news stream until I catch up?

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?