<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 15, 2006

Picture Processing 

As some know, I started decades ago as a photographer then transitioned into writing and eventually into PR. There was an economic reason for it. Life as a photographer was difficult then. It's impossible now with digital because so many can do so much with digital cameras, even as amateurs.

Pictorial skills are essential tools for PR practitioners because so much of what we do is explainable by a good photo. Yet, I wonder how many know how to handle a camera and more importantly, the photo processing tools that now exist, such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, a cheaper suite (that I use). This struck me yesterday as I was finishing 31 photos from my daughter's recent Spring concert. In the old days, it would have taken days to crop and color balance what I got done in three hours.

I wonder how many PR courses teach photo skills these days. Most seem to be focused on writing, which is important but insufficient.

I'm curious to know, and I'd like to hear from anyone who is a PR student or recently graduated. The question is: Were you taught how to take and evaluate images for PR work? Or, did your professors assume you knew what to do?

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?