<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 18, 2006

Psychopaths 

Note the paragraph on corporate psychopaths in this article.

There's currently a bull market in corporate psychopaths, according to psychologist Paul Babiak of HRBackOffice, an industrial-consulting firm in Hopewell Junction, N.Y. Organizations undergoing major changes, such as downsizing or mergers, provide a chaotic atmosphere that savvy psychopaths exploit, Babiak holds. They cozy up to a firm's power brokers, manipulate coworkers, and intimidate underlings on their way up the corporate ladder, stealing everything possible along the way.

I can't say I've met a true psychopath in the corporate environment, although I believe I know of one individual outside of business who shows characteristics of the condition.

One individual like this in a business harms an entire organization. One CEO without values will ruin a company. I've met CEOs in my career who had few moral tenets, but at least they had some. I can't say I've ever met one without ethics. I don't know what I would do, if I did -- except get away from the individual as quickly as possible.

Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?